Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Not Much Is New - May 8, 2017

Yep. Not much is new. We had our first baptism since January here in Primavera on Saturday (as an area, not as a zone or mission). He is a guy named J****, has been visiting with the missionaries for around 6 months now, and up to recently been what dominicans call a "charlatán" or maybe even a "charlatanazo." However, he has made a lot of changes in his life. He is a single father (unusual for the DR...usually it's the dads and not the moms that abandon their kids), and really wants to be able to preach the gospel. We are going to do everything we can to get him to visit people with us, and we are also making sure he gets the Priesthood and a calling here soon. 

We met a ton of great new people this week. We met a blind lady who has been to Church in another town around here, is the friend of a blind Church member in that town, and who, even without being able to see us, told us as soon as we showed up that she had been waiting for us. The sisters in Consuelo (the town) sent us the reference, but because she lives a little far away it took us a couple of days to get to her. We are super glad we did. We also met a lady who gave us lunch in our first visit with her, and expressed a big desire to know for herself if the Book of Mormon is true. We talked this week to the manager of a TV company office when we received her as a reference, had a short visit, left her the Book of Mormon, and are going to try to visit her again this week.

We talked on public radio as usual. Although you wouldn't understand hardly anything, it is available to listen to via internet. Jessica could practice a bit of that spanish of hers that has been gathering dust. ;) The radio is called Radio Dial 670 AM "EL PODER NOTICIOSO DEL ESTE."

This week I said goodbye to Elder K**** from New Mexico. He went home early for school this Thursday. I'm going to miss him--we became pretty good friends in our time in the same zones. In two weeks I will have to say goodbye to Elder F*****, which will be really hard. We have become SUPER close. The good thing is that it'll only be 3 months before I see him again; he's doing BYU evening classes, and suffice it to say that we will be spending WAY too much time together being nerdy and stuff. He already set me up with a friend of his for a double-date Lord of the Rings marathon in October. HAHA XD That will be interesting.

Anyhow, not much else is itching my brain right now. I love you all so much, and hope that all goes well this week now that things have calmed down. As far as my call, I can't say exactly when it will be, because the other missionaries I live with haven't told me the times they've set. From my estimates I will call around 5 or 6pm dominican time, but be ready just in case I call earlier. I'm pretty sure I remember all my skype info. I should hope so--this is the last call I'm going to make. Wow. How odd.

Take care, and best of luck (er, blessings--there is no such thing as luck)! :)
Élder Rowe

No comments:

Post a Comment