Monday, August 22, 2016

Aug 15, 2016 - So I'm in a rap music video...

Wuey KLK.
This week was pretty good. We FINALLY have baptismal dates for the month. Two were a miracle; we were passing through mutual to talk to the bishop and two girls came up with a recent convert and said that they wanted to be baptized. A few days later we met with them both and set a date. They both have already been going to church for some time (I honestly thought that they were less actives who were being reactivated). In short, we are going to baptize this month.
About the subject heading... on Thursday night I got a call from Elder S**** and Elder d**** in San Pedro (both past companions). They said that while they were talking to some youth in the ward that the youth claimed to have seen Elder d**** in a rap video. They showed him a snippet and, as it turns out, it is of him and I going down the big hill in Los 3 Brazos with the Bishop to visit C*****. A car full of girls had passed by us, and suddenly a camera emerged from the car (Elder D remembers this; I don't). We apparently waved to the car. Dominican rapper Tim Blake (I think) called us "chivatos de la CIA" (CIA tattletales, basically). That happened. President Corbitt already knows about it, and while Elder D was worried about the image it would present, I just think it's plain funny. As I may or may not have told you, oe of the earliest problems for the Church here was the fact that many people thought we were CIA agents. The fact that the mentality still continues among the uneducated is just funny to me.
This week I felt like my personal study was kind of scattered. I've started an in-depth D&C study, so I get lots of little things about missionary work and then lots of stuff that does and doesn't apply to my current position or circumstances. However, I think the main reason I don't remember much has been because my heart wasn't in it. I got too comfy with things as they were this week, and it has shown a bit in how I've felt. I've felt tired, but like there was still so much more I could've done when I had energy. Next week I am going to go hard with regard to contacting and filling time up with talking to people. I've been a terrible example as of yet as far as contacting goes. Elder R***** needs all-around training, not just basic teaching abilities and Spanish practice. BTW, Elder R***** has already gone through Spanish 3. Although he doesn't speak fluently yet, he already understands about 75% spoken and 90% read. So Jessica, those 3 years of Spanish will in fact mean something if you go Spanish speaking. I am confident that Elder R***** will be speaking fluently by the time he has 3 months out here. He has already shown incredible progress.
Anyhoo, I love you guys! Thanks for the scripture, Mom (I've been thinking about the same this transfer a lot)! (I referenced D&C 64:33-34...  Wherefore be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.  And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.  Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.)  Have a great one.

Élder Rowe

No comments:

Post a Comment